A DAY WITHOUT THE INTERNET

I was in a sense of great elation when all my trials and tribulations of the week ended. Filled with weekend vibes, I was heading back from college to home. Cruising down the busiest roads of the city, I reached my home earlier than usual. I threw my bag on the couch and shoes somewhere. Just like a log of wood, I fell into my bed. My phone cautioned me with a red light indicating “Battery Low”

A voice from the far end of my home digressed me from plugging the charger to my phone. The voice belonged to my mom, who was yelling at me, to fetch the clothes from the terrace as it was about to rain. Returning from the terrace, I found a cup of coffee placed beside the newspaper on the table in the hall. I grabbed my coffee and the newspaper, took a seat to the balcony, started reading the newspaper and enjoyed my coffee along with the rain. 

While reading the newspaper, an article titled “The world is becoming internet-savvy” caught my attention. Since the title was intriguing, I read the whole article. The article concluded with a fact that it is impossible to pass a day without the Internet. Suddenly, a question struck my mind, “How about spending this Sunday without the Internet?” I boasted to myself that I had found a way to spend this Sunday. I took it as a challenge, 


“A DAY WITHOUT THE INTERNET” 

Meanwhile various ideas about spending this Sunday bulked up my head like a heap, I found no pen and paper to note down those. So I rushed to the hall, unzipped my bag and fetched a pen and paper. My phone once again cautioned its status. So, I went to my room. As I was about to plug-in the charger to my phone, the power went off. 

I heard someone thumping the door.  The sound grew along with the thundering. For a moment, the banging stopped and the door was opened. I saw a shadow approaching me. It was my dad who got drenched in rain while returning home. Back to my cozy spot for this rainy evening, I completed my plan for this Sunday as well as my coffee. Soon I realized that time had flown by, when my mom called me for dinner. Annoyed by the power cut, I dozed off without having my dinner. 

Next morning, I woke up with an enthusiasm as, “It is the challenge day”

Having completed all my odd works, I took the key to my bike and left the home too early.  I was on par with my schedule. I reached out my first destination “The Zoo” on time. Since it was Sunday, the zoo was packed with people. I saw a queue which extended to not less than a mile. After waiting for an hour, I got my entry ticket.  The children were thrilled and amazed to see a wide range of wild animals. It reminded me of those nostalgic days. I checked my watch to know the time. To my surprise, I found that I had spent almost 3 hours in the zoo.  After knowing that I fell short on my schedule, I rushed to the exit gate.  

By the time I reached my second destination, the evening had already begun. My second destination was “The Beach”.  The place was filled different kinds of people. I spotted the children building their own castle, the youngsters romancing each other, the old people going for a walk. I almost forgot to mention the romantic couple for this Sunday evening. “The Sun and the Sea”. As the time passed by, I saw the sun kissing the sea. It was impeccable and so romantic.  

Despite living a stereotypical life, I felt like I was in the utopia of my dream all this Sunday.  

By the time I reached my home, it was dinner time. After a tiresome day, I had my dinner and tucked into my bed.  I started searching for my phone to update my victory on all the social media. I found it lying on the other end of the bed, beneath the charger unplugged. I stretched my hand to get my phone. I switched it on. I pressed the Wi-Fi button. As the Wi-Fi got connected, notifications flooded. I checked my WhatsApp for new messages. 

The messages from my college group made me go mad. 

Bamboozled by the challenge, I totally forgot to complete my assignment. 

“Tomorrow is the deadline for submission of assignment. Failing which the consequence would be severe!” a message popped up from the professor, who was recently added to the group. 

I started cursing myself for taking up the challenge.  

A minute later, my phone cautioned me of its existence for the one last time.  

“It beeped, beeped, beeped and died.”  

“So did I”.

Comments

  1. Good concept. Great narration. Keep it up. All the best. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best short stories read in recent times!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super concept .. Nice ending 😍😂 awesome script . Keep doing this . ❤️ All the best da ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written and lovely narration..! No doubt that you have done...!! Keep rocking..!! Ending was awesome 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant concept and work. True that reality hits hard!
    Loved the Sea and Sun Romantic reference!
    Excited to read your other works! 👍✨👏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts